Home Remedies For Reduce White Hair: We all have gotten used to the benefits our modern society offers. There is no other option than to bear the brunt of some of the disadvantages that come with it—white hair is one of the most irritating modern lifestyle outcomes. Although gray hair is familiar with age, it can be disheartening if you find your hair graying while you are in your 20s or 30s. This article gives you some of the best home remedies for white hair you can try at the comfort of your home.
Many parents have increasing concerns about graying hair in kids, which might blow their confidence levels. When your hair loses a significant amount of pigment, it turns grey or white. This article increases your awareness of hair graying in adults and kids and how home remedies help treat them naturally.
How To Use Amla For white hair
Amla is one of the common ingredients you can find in many of the hair care products available in the market because of all the benefits it offers. It enhances your hair’s pigmentation that prevents hair graying and strengthens and promotes hair growth, making it a perfect home remedy for hair fall and white hair (6).
- One cup of water.
- Four Indian gooseberries.
- Make small slices by cutting the gooseberries.
- Add the gooseberries to a glass of water.
- Boil the water and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Switch the stove off.
- Let the mixture cool down.
- Strain the liquid into a bowl.
- Gently apply the mixture to your hair from the scalp to the tips evenly.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo and then followed by a conditioner.
- You can use this remedy once or twice a week for efficient results.
Onion Juice for grey hair
Onion juice is a natural way to get rid of white hair since it improves your hair’s health by reducing the hydrogen peroxide build-up in your scalp since it has a substance called catalase (7). The olive oil’s emollient properties condition your hair, keeping it soft, making it a natural solution for white hair (8). Although this remedy is effective, getting rid of the smell of onion juice can be difficult.
- One onion.
- One tbsp of olive oil.
- Slice the onion into thin slices.
- Add the sliced onions and olive oil to the blender.
- Use a cheesecloth to squeeze the juice out from the pulp.
- Gently apply the liquid to your scalp evenly.
- Massage your scalp for about ten minutes.
- Let it be for about 35 minutes.
- Use a mild sulfate-free shampoo to wash your hair.
- You can use this remedy twice a week for positive results.
Black Tea to reduce white hair
The high amounts of antioxidants present in black tea prevent graying your hair prematurely since it stops the free radical damage to the hair (9). Stress is considered one of the contributing factors of premature graying of hair which can be tackled with black tea, making it one of the best natural remedies for white hair (10).
- One cup of water.
- Two tbsp of black tea.
- Brew two tbsp of black tea in a cup of water.
- Let it cool down.
- Strain the liquid into a bowl.
- Gently apply the mixture to the scalp to the tips of the hair.
- Leave it there for about an hour.
- Use a mild sulfate-free shampoo to wash your hair and finish it with a conditioner.
- For effective results, use this remedy twice a week.
Ridge Gourd for Hair
Ridge gourd or commonly called turai, is a watery vegetable that has many health benefits. It also helps prevent your hair from graying prematurely by helping you restore natural hair pigment (11). Coconut oil nourishes your hair by penetrating your hair shaft (12). The combination helps get rid of white hair naturally.
- ½ a cup of dried ridge gourd.
- Coconut oil-one cup.
- Chop the dried ridge gourd into small pieces.
- Take a bowl of coconut oil.
- Soak the chopped ridge gourd in coconut oil.
- Place the soaked ridge gourd with the oil in an airtight container.
- Let it soak for three to four days.
- Take two tbsp of the oil and warm it after four days.
- Apply the oil to your hair, starting from the scalp to the tips.
- Gently massage your scalp for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Leave the oil in your hair for 30 more minutes.
- Use a mild sulfate-free shampoo to wash your hair and followed by a conditioner.
- For efficient results, use this remedy twice or thrice a week.
Usage of sage leaves is gaining popularity for their health benefits. But it also helps prevent graying by preserving the color of your hair naturally. It may even restore the pigment to white hair patches, in some cases making it the natural way to blacken white hair
- Half a cup of sage leaves.
- A spray bottle.
- Brew the sage leaves in the water.
- Once the concoction is brewed enough, let it cool down.
- Take a spray bottle and collect the liquid into it.
- Use sage tea to spritz your hair until it is saturated.
- Let it stay on your hair for about an hour or two.
- Use a mild shampoo to wash your hair, and don’t forget the conditioner.
- Using this remedy twice a week can be useful.
The dyeing effects of black coffee make it a common ingredient for hair coloring purposes (14). Therefore, looking for a home remedy for white hair at an early age, black coffee can be an excellent option.
- 4 tbsp of coffee powder.
- Two cups of water.
- Mix the coffee powder in a single cup of water.
- Boil two cups of water.
- Now add the coffee powder mixture to the boiling water.
- Let the concoction cool down.
- Gently apply the mixture to your hair from the scalp to the tips.
- Let the mixture stay on your hair for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Use water to rinse your hair thoroughly.
- Using this remedy every few weeks can be beneficial.
Aloe vera is one of the perfect home remedies for premature white hair, which doesn’t damage its cortex while it is used in conjunction with natural dyes to color hair. When used with henna, aloe vera juice speeds up the process of dying or coloring gray hair.
- One cup of fresh aloe vera juice.
- Prepare a bowl of fresh aloe vera juice.
- You can use this fresh aloe vera juice in a combination of coffee or henna, natural dyes.
- Gently apply it to the scalp to the tips of your hair.
- Rinse your hair after leaving it in your hair for about an hour.
Curry leaves are a perfect white hair treatment at home since it prevents the premature graying of hair and maintains the natural hair tone efficiently (2). Coconut oil promotes hair growth by nourishing it from the root and efficiently penetrating hair follicles (3).
- Three tbsp of coconut oil.
- A handful of curry leaves.
- Take the coconut oil and curry leaves in a bowl.
- Prepare an oil solution by boiling the contents in the bowl.
- Let the mixture cool down.
- Strain the leaves and take the oil into a bowl.
- Now gently apply the oil preparation to the hair’s length, starting from the scalp to the tips.
- Massage your hair and scalp for about 15 minutes.
- Leave your hair with the oil in it for about 30 more minutes.
- Use a mild sulfate-free shampoo to wash your hair, and don’t forget to use a conditioner.
- For effective results, use this remedy twice or thrice a week.
Bhringaraj is an ayurvedic solution making it one of the best home remedies for white hair at a young age. The bioactive compounds present in Bhringaraj act as a natural dye that can color white and gray hair by enhancing melanogenesis (4).
- Two tbsp of Bhringaraj powder.
- A little bit of water.
- Take a bowl and add the Bhringaraj powder to it.
- Add some water to it, forming a thick and smooth paste.
- Wear the gloves and take some paste into your hands.
- Let it stay in your hair for about an hour.
- Rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
- You may follow this remedy once every few weeks for efficient results.
Coconut Oil for White Hair
Hair needs proper nourishment since it often gets coarse and thick. The moisturizing coconut oil properties give you the natural ways to prevent white hair, keep your hair nourished and reduce protein loss from gray hair (5).
- Two tbsp of virgin coconut oil.
- Gently apply the coconut oil to your hair, starting from the scalp to tips.
- Let the oil stay in your hair for about an hour.
- Use a mild cleanser to rinse off the oil.
- For efficient results, use this remedy once or twice a week.
Tips To Reversing Premature White Hair:
Although home remedies can be useful, you can reduce the chances of your hair graying up prematurely by taking some precautions.
1. Diet Tips:
The diet you follow makes a lot of difference in delaying the premature graying of your hair. You can get the right amounts of vitamins and minerals by maintaining a balanced diet. Here is the list of foods you need to include in your diet for the desired results:
- Berries are a rich source of vitamin C.
- Meat liver helps combat iron deficiency and anemia.
- Carrots are a rich source of vitamin A.
- Curry leaves are abundant in iron, zinc, iodine, selenium, and B vitamins.
- To help in the production of melanin, consume spinach.
- Eggs are a rich source of vitamin B12.
- Beans are high in protein.
- Sunflower seeds are abundant in minerals and antioxidants.
- Walnuts help in melanin production and a rich source of copper.
2. Eating More Antioxidants, Vitamin Deficiencies:
Consuming foods that are high in antioxidants need to be consumed regularly to reduce graying hair naturally. Grapes, Berries, Green tea, and Green leafy vegetables are some foods rich in antioxidants.
If vitamin B12 deficiency is causing graying of hair, consuming eggs, seafood, lamb, beef, pork, dairy products like cheese and milk are rich sources of B12 can be beneficial.
3. Quit Smoking:
Your hair’s health and color depend upon lifestyle choices, and smoking is a contributing factor for white hair and a lot of adverse effects on your body. According to non-smokers, smokers have a higher chance of losing pigment, according to studies (15).
Causes Of White Hair:
There are three stages in the formation of hair such as growth(anagen), cessation(catagen), and rest(telogen), where the production of new cells pushes out the old cells out of the hair follicles. Unlike in the skin, pigmentation in hair is not continuous and is absent in the rest phase causing graying hair. Here are some of the factors that cause the early-onset of gray hair:
One of the predominant factors that determine the loss of pigment in your hair is genes. First, white hair strands appear late for some people, and for some, it may happen even before they are 20 years old.
2. Melanin Deficiency:
Hair whitening can be the result of a deficiency of melanin in many people. Your body needs appropriate amounts of protein and nutrition supplements that play an essential role in melanin production. There is a high chance of deficiency of melanin if there is a lack of these nutrients.
According to research, graying of hair or premature hair whitening can result from an imbalance of hormones. Please consult a doctor if you have excess graying of hair and not sure about hormonal imbalance.
4. Medical Issues:
There is a chance of loss of pigment in your hair because of some underlying conditions. Premature aging syndromes, thyroid diseases, pernicious anemia, and vitiligo are autoimmune diseases that may trigger PGH.
Whitening of hair follicles can result from a deficiency in iron, vitamin D, folate, vitamin B12, and selenium. According to studies, people with premature graying of hair have deficiencies in folic acid, vitamin B12, and lower biotin levels.
Although allergic infections might cause hair graying, one of the direct causes of premature graying of hair can be the usage of chemical-based shampoos, hair dyes, and soaps.
According to many studies, premature graying of hair can also result from the oxidative load caused by psychological stress.
According to studies, smoking is one of the primary reasons for premature graying since it causes reactive oxygen species damage to hair follicle melanocytes.
9. Hydrogen Peroxide:
Hair shafts accumulate small amounts of hydrogen peroxide produced by hair follicles. This causes your hair to turn gray and then while by bleaching your hair (1).