Home Remedies To Get Smooth And Lustrous Hair: Who doesn’t want to have smooth and silky hair? With tons of problems and pollutants that affect our hair, following a proper hair care routine can become a constant struggle. You can get smooth hair by putting in some effort in using affordable home remedies without having to spend too much money. The damage done to the outer layer of your hair results in dry and dull hair. Instead of spending thousands of dollars on expensive products, you can get smooth hair with a little bit of patience by using some remedies mentioned in this article at home. Read on to know more!
Tips to Get Smooth (or) Soft Hair:
The home remedies mentioned above are quite helpful in getting and maintaining the smoothness of your hair. Here are some tips you can follow to get soft hair.
- Be gentle while brushing your hair since handling your hair roughly may make your hair frizzy. Make sure you gently detangle your hair and try using a wooden comb with wide teeth.
- Deep conditioning your hair at least once a week is necessary for the treatment to work wonders for your hair.
- If you have curly hair, a leave-in conditioner is a perfect option that gives you a frizz-free look.
- To keep your hair smooth and silky, ensure you wash your hair with cold water. It helps prevent the loss of moisture from your hair by sealing the hair cuticles.
- Although styling tools are part and parcel of our hairstyling process, overusing them may cause damage to your hair.
- Stick to washing your hair two to three times a week and not over wash your hair.
- Leave your hair open after squeezing out all the excess water, air-drying it instead of using a hairdryer.
How to Get Smooth Hair:
Here are some of the best natural remedies for smooth hair you can try at the comfort of your home. Let us have a look:
1. Banana Pack For Smooth Hair
Banana is one of the fruits you can get in all seasons and is loved by adults and children alike. It helps fight free radicles with its antioxidant potential making it a perfect home remedy for soft hair overnight (5). It is also a rich source of carbohydrates, potassium, and natural oils, which not only moisturize your hair but keep it well-nourished, giving you silky smooth hair in one day.
- One ripe banana.
- Two tbsp of yogurt.
- Place the ripe banana in a bowl and mash it thoroughly.
- Add the yogurt to it and blend it well to form a smooth paste.
- Make sure there are no chunks, and the mixture is smooth.
- Apply the smooth paste to your hair.
- Start from the tips of your hair and then gently cover the entire hair area.
- Leave it for 45 minutes.
- Use mild shampoo to rinse off with lukewarm water.
Beer for Smooth Hair
Although there is no scientific proof, there are anecdotal claims that say beer is good for hair. The protein, vitamins B, and antioxidants present in the beer impact the health of your hair, making it smooth naturally.
- 200 ml of beer.
- Take the beer in a small bowl.
- Apply the beer to your hair from scalp to tips.
- Use gentle strokes to massage your scalp and leave it for about 10 minutes.
- Use lukewarm water to rinse off your hair.
- Wash your hair with a mild sulfate shampoo and followed by a conditioner.
- For effective results, follow this remedy about twice a week.
Fenugreek (methi) For Smooth Hair
The fenugreek seeds are a rich source of lecithin, potassium, vitamin C, iron, and protein that make it one of the best ways to make hair softer at home (6). These nutrients present in fenugreek seeds promote hair thickening and strength by preventing hair loss, damage, dandruff, and graying.
- ¼ cup of fenugreek seeds.
- One cup of water.
- Presoak the fenugreek seeds in a cup of water overnight.
- Blend the seeds by adding a little bit of water, forming a smooth paste.
- Gently apply the mixture to your hair and scalp.
- Let it stay in your hair for about 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair thoroughly by using a mild sulfate-free shampoo.
- Don’t forget to condition your hair.
- Use this home remedy once a week to see the desired results.
Avocado for Smooth Hair
Avocado is a fruit that has essential amino acids and omega-3 fatty acids that effectively retain moisture and protect your hair’s texture (3). It also provides your hair deep and long-lasting hydration with the natural oils present in it. This wondrous fruit covers your hair’s damaged regions by restoring life into it, making Avocado one of the best home remedies for smooth hair.
- One ripe avocado.
- One tbsp of almond oil.
- Place the avocado by removing the seed.
- Mash it thoroughly so that it forms a smooth paste.
- Now add almond oil to the mixture and combine it well.
- Make sure there are no lumps.
- Gently apply the mixture to your hair, starting from the tips to the scalp thoroughly.
- Place a shower cap and leave it there for 15 minutes.
- Use lukewarm water to wash it off.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo followed by a conditioner.
- Using this remedy twice a week will give you effective results.
Vinegar Rinse for Smooth Hair
Our hair’s PH level is 5.5, but we use strongly alkaline shampoos and conditioners to cleanse it. Anecdotal evidence suggests that apple cider vinegar rinse not only cleans the build-up on your scalp but also maintains the PH balance of the scalp exceptionally. You can get smooth, soft, and shinier hair by rinsing your hair with vinegar, closing your hair cuticles making your hair softer.
- One cup of water.
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar.
- Take a bowl and mix the apple cider vinegar and water, diluting it.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo before you use vinegar rinse.
- Not gently pour the diluted apple cider vinegar as a final rinse.
- Leave it on, and there is no need to wash your hair.
Yogurt for Smooth Hair
The essential vitamins and Probiotics present in yogurt are critical to maintaining your hair’s health (4). The lactic acid available in yogurt not only helps strip away the dead skin cells but also keeps your hair hydrated, giving you smooth hair naturally at home. It also adds a luster to your hair by strengthening and nourishing it thoroughly, making your hair softer naturally.
- One cup of yogurt.
- Whip the cup of fresh yogurt, forming a smooth and creamy texture.
- You can either add additional ingredients like honey to it or apply yogurt by itself.
- Gently apply the creamy yogurt to your hair.
- Start from the tips and cover the roots of your hair.
- Leave it for about 30 minutes.
- Use lukewarm water to wash off your hair.
- Use a mild shampoo and followed by a conditioner.
- You can use this remedy twice a week for effective results.
Hot Oil Massage for Smooth Hair
Hot oil massage is a perfect and easy to achieve remedy to make your hair smooth and healthy. It also fights issues such as dandruff and itching by deep conditioning your hair. It also boosts hair growth by stimulating your hair follicles. You can either use olive or coconut oil for hot oil therapy. Coconut oil gives you optimum nourishment by penetrating deep into your hair shafts. Whereas olive oil repairs and prevents hair damage with vitamin E, fatty acids, and antioxidants (1).
- Two tbsp of olive oil/ coconut oil.
- Slightly heat your choice of oil.
- Make sure the oil is slightly warm and not hot.
- You can increase the amount of oil depending on the length of your hair.
- Gently massage your hair with warm oil.
- Keep massaging in circular motions for about 15 minutes
- Leave the oil in your hair for 30 more minutes.
- You can cover your hair with a shower cap or a hot towel.
- Use a sulfate-free shampoo to wash your hair.
- Finish it off with a conditioner.
- You can try this remedy twice a week for effective results.
How To Use Aloe Vera For Smooth Hair
Aloe vera is another natural ingredient that is commonly used in many home remedies. It repairs the damaged cells present in your scalp with the help of proteolytic enzymes that help make your hair softer (2). It also boosts your hair growth, improving the health of your follicles along with conditioning them thoroughly. Using this remedy regularly will minimize the frizz giving your hair a smooth texture.
- One aloe vera leaf.
- Two tbsp of water.
- One spray bottle.
- Use a spoon to extract two tbsp of fresh aloe vera gel from the leaf.
- Whisk the gel until you get a smooth consistency.
- Add the two tbsp of water to the mixture and combine well.
- Take a spray bottle and pour the liquid into it.
- Shake the spray bottle well.
- Wash and dry your hair before you use this remedy.
- Gently spray the aloe vera mixture onto your hair.
- Leave it on your hair.
- Use this remedy similar to any other hair spray.
- Using this remedy twice or thrice a week will give you effective results.
It is a known fact that eggs are a rich source of protein. The protein sources in eggs improve the texture, shine and provide your hair with nourishment. It livens your dull hair by repairing any damage. It also makes hair smooth and silky at home by strengthening and conditioning your hair, making it much more manageable.
- One egg.
- One tbsp of olive oil.
- One tbsp of honey.
- Form a well-combined mixture by whisking the ingredients together.
- Make sure you mix up all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Gently apply the mixture to your hair from the scalp to the tips.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Leave it there for about 30 minutes.
- Use a mild-free shampoo and cool water to wash your hair, and don’t forget the conditioner.
- You can try this remedy once or twice a week for effective results.