The monosaturated fatty acids and some more health benefits make mustard oil one of the healthiest oils. It may prevent certain infections, cardiovascular diseases and is suitable for skin too. Although many countries have banned mustard oil used for cooking, you can reap the benefits when consuming it in appropriate quantities. With the list of mustard oil benefits for skin and face mentioned in this article, try using little amounts. Consult your doctor if you experience any adverse effects.
Release us through this article to find out about the gainful impacts of mustard oil.
How To Use Mustard Oil:
- Many countries, including the USA, Canada, and Europe, and others worldwide, are not permitted to use pure mustard oil like vegetable oil since it may have adverse effects on heart health because of a compound called erucic acid.
- Essential mustard oil is extracted using a steam distillation process, which is considered a safe flavoring agent.
- Both oils have the same beneficial compounds and are extracted from mustard seeds.
- To use mustard oil as a massage oil or be mixed into homemade skin treatments, it is better to combine them with a carrier oil.
- Perform a patch test and wait for at least 24 hours to check for any redness and irritation before you start using mustard oil for your skin or face.
- There is a need for studies about the effects of topical application of mustard oil, and there is no recommended dosage.
- Hence, you need to slowly assess your tolerance by starting with a small amount, around one tablespoon, and gradually increasing the quantity.
Any Side Effects?
When taken in quantities more than average food amounts, mustard oil may cause side effects. Some of the concerns are:
- Although there is a need for more research, mustard oil may cause anemia in susceptible individuals if taken in excess.
- In some individuals, lung cancer risk increases when mustard oil is consumed in large quantities, although more research is needed.
- Mustard oil may cause miscarriage after causing vaginal bleeding in pregnant women.
- The risk of heart ailments may increase if mustard oil is consumed in large quantities.
Benefits Of Mustard Oil For Skin:
Several health benefits are associated with the goodness of mustard oil that also help in dealing with many skin issues naturally. Let us know the health benefits in detail:
May Treat Rashes:
The antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties of mustard oil help heal many allergies, infections, and skin rashes (6). Although there is no sufficient data to prove the same, it may also reduce itching associated with your skin’s dryness. Mustard oil profoundly cleanses and rejuvenates the skin giving it a beautiful glow.
May Have Anti-Aging Properties:
Therefore apply little amounts of mustard oil to your face and skin to reap the benefits.
May Moisturize Your Dry Skin:
Moisturization is an essential step in the skincare routine, irrespective of the skin type. This especially holds if you have dry and patchy skin. The goodness of vitamin E present in mustard oil keeps your sry skin moisturized abundantly.
To improve your skin’s health, apply few drops of mustard oil in a circular motion.
May Clear Acne:
Mustard oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties that help deal with acne and the scars associated with it naturally (8). Apply mustard oil to your skin and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes every day. This will not only clear up your complexion but also reduces the acne scars significantly.
May Give You Smooth And Supple Skin:
Mustard oil has high amounts of Vitamin E that gives you youthful skin by blocking the free radicles from your body. It also reduces the fine lines, wrinkles, blemishes by penetrating your skin naturally. This process not only improves the complexion but also makes your skin smooth and supple.
May Act As A Cleanser:
Mustard oil acts as a natural cleanser by unclogging the pores and acting as a make-up remover too. Within minutes, you can cleanse your skin naturally. mustard oil when combined with few drops of lemon juice not only cleanse your teeth but also make them stronger.
May Have Antibacterial, Antifungal, And Anti-inflammatory Properties:
Mustard oil has minerals called selenium and magnesium in high amounts, which give the oil its anti-inflammatory properties. It helps lowers the body temperature by stimulating the sweat glands. Mustard oil is used in pain medications associated with muscle sprains, strains, and arthritis in traditional medicines.
Mustard oil works as an antibacterial agent against E.coli, according to recent studies (1). It also prevents the growth of unwanted bacteria and other microbes due to the glucosinolate presence in mustard oil.
Mustard oil helps treat skin rashes and infections caused by fungi since it has powerful antifungal properties. According to a study, mustard oil contains a compound called allyl isothiocyanate that proves most effective on fungal infections when compared to other oils (2).
May Stimulate Sweating:
When you massage mustard oil on your skin, it stimulates sweat glands and the circulatory system. This enlarges skin pores and improves blood circulation throughout the body.
The diaphoretic ability of mustard oil helps remove toxins from your body by lowering the body temperature. But to understand the benefit further, more research is warranted.
May Improve Blood Circulation:
Many countries follow massage on newborns with mustard oil. It improves newborns’ overall health and body strength, making them some of the common reasons for mustard oil (3).
A simple body massage with mustard oil not only helps in better functioning of the organs, but it may also keep your body refreshed. Although more concrete research is needed in this aspect, mustard oil massage improves your body parts’ blood circulation.
May Reduce Dark Spots And Tan Marks:
You can reduce tan, dark spots, and skin pigmentation by massaging mustard oil on your face regularly. All you have to do is follow the simple preparation of the following remedy. But there is no enough evidence to prove the claim.
- Two tbsp of chickpea flour.
- One tbsp of yogurt.
- Few drops of lemon juice.
- Combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix them thoroughly.
- Apply the mixture to your face and neck and leave it there for about 15 minutes.
- Use cold water to wash your face.
- Using this remedy for a few months three times a week will show tremendous results.
May Improve The Tone Of Your Skin:
Take a bowl, add equal amounts of coconut and mustard oils, and massage the mixture on your face. Leave it there for about 15 minutes, and use a mild face wash to wash your face.
You can notice an improvement in your skin tone if you use it regularly.
May Act As Natural Sunscreen:
Sunscreen is an essential addition to the skincare routine, irrespective of the season. Before you step outdoors, apply a small quantity of mustard oil into your skin. The high amounts of vitamin E present in mustard oil protect your skin from harmful UV rays and environmental toxins acting as a natural sunscreen (5).
Using mustard oil in excess may attract dust and pollution to your skin; therefore, use it in small quantities.
1. How to store mustard oil?
When you buy mustard oil, make sure you buy them in quantities you can use up within six months. To prevent the oil from turning rancid, store the mustard oil in a refrigerator in an airtight bottle.
2. Is it safe to apply mustard oil to wet hair?
Unless you comb your hair with a sharp brush, applying mustard oil to wet hair will not damage your hair. However, it may block the hair follicles if you leave the oil on your hair for more than six hours.
3. How can we determine an allergic reaction to mustard oil?
It is better to do a patch test on your arm to determine allergic reactions before applying it to your face. Consult your physician if you have any of the following allergic reactions:
- Difficulty in breathing.